Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Death of Any Man Diminishes Us All:Roller Rink Tragedy

In Grand Prairie last night July 23 ,2011 tragedy occurred in our community. Children at Forum World witnessed the mass slaying of 6 souls. One of them a troubled soul, who in his hours of greatest despair , took his life and others.The healing process begins when the wound is exposed .The wounds in this case will take along time to heal,because of the horrific nature of the act.


I was born in an era , in which black folk when hearing of such acts , always responded by saying ,"I hope that the person who did this wasn't black" .The reason was black folk didn't need anymore problems than what they had.That was the 60"s and 70"s . Now here we are in the 10"s .An age of enlightenment ,when all of our lives , are valued the same.It is a time when a reporter in an exchange of information from Grand Prairie Chief of Police Steve Dye asked "were the shooter- victims ASIAN " ?

The death of any man diminishes me .The taken of innocence from children angers me.Stupid questions from reporters qualifying life angers me. Perhaps on this day July 24 ,2011 we are no more enlightened as if it was July 24 ,1961. The best words to address this tragedy comes from a post on Facebook today from Grand Prairie Chamber Of Commerce ,Prudence Mathis.


"Prayers being lifted for all those affected by the shooting last night at Grand Prairie's Roller World Forum. Sad that what was supposed to be a joyous occasion celebrating a birthday turned into a tragedy. My heart especially goes out to the witnesses, which included children."

4 comments:

Prudence Mathis said...

Thank you for sharing your blog, Ed. And like you, it angers me when innocence is taken from a child in any form or fashion!

Greg Chapman said...

It's sad that a place for our children to have fun,is not safe NOW!!!!

Geneva Smith said...

Very sad...now I am apprehensive about sending my daughter skating...smh

Willis Johnson said...

Sad day...I used to take my kids to the same place. Never would think it would be on CNN...